Parish Rooms

 parish rooms

FINDERN PARISH ROOMS

The newly renovated Parish Rooms, which belong to Findern Parish Council, are situated between the village green and Lower Green  There is ramped entrance, easy free parking nearby and a disabled lift to save the less mobile using the stairs.

It is such an improvement and enhances the appearance of the older part of the village centred round the church. Originally the parish rooms were 2 cottages and in 1895 a newly formed but far-sighted Parish Council bought the cottages for use as a meeting place for village events. The front doors opened straight on to the street, there was no water supply and inside it was divided into 2 single storey rooms which were rather damp and dark. All parish meetings were held there but also social events like concerts, whist drives, sales etc. and they were even used as schoolrooms for 2 years in the early 1920's as the existing village school was so cold and dilapidated.

In 1953 a youth centre was opened by the Methodists on the site of the present village hall and used until the 1980's. After much fund-raising by the whole village a new hall was built in its place and opened in 1982. The Parish Rooms were little used and poorly maintained after this brand new hall opened and in 2002 a decision had to made about the future of the building. The Parish Council of that time was deeply divided but the rooms were saved by one vote. The rooms escaped sale or demolition for twelve while a Restoration Group raised money and applied for grants.

The Restoration group has worked extremely hard since then and is delighted with the new building. In September 2004 they were awarded two grants, one from Derby and Derbyshire Economic Partnership and a smaller one from South Derbyshire District Council. The remainder of the money came from a legacy so no money came from the precept. Work started on 31 January 2005 and when the builders had finished a viewing day was held. Visitors were amazed at the difference and many signed up to help with the painting and decorating and finishing off. All that summer work was carried out by volunteers to get the building ready for use in September. The exterior walls were painted, the disabled lift installed and 2 large storage sheds erected in the garden.

 The Findern Parish Rooms are now undertaking further refurbishment work to turn it into Bee's Tea Room which will be opening very soon.